Monday, January 17, 2011

Space to Stuff Ratio equalization attempt #406

It's probably higher than 406, but I'm not counting so that's the number assigned to this attempt.  I am so tired of stepping around, over and beside things that do not have a home or are simply out of their home.  What is WITH my need to collect clutter and not want to give it away?  GRRRRRRR  And worse yet, I've got four other people who do and feel the same.  I did not marry this house and this is "for worse" so I want out! *grin*

We want a dog.  Well, the girls want a dog and I've decided it's a good idea to get one now, although today I'm wondering if I'm totally NUTS!  We have a house so full of stuff there's rarely an empty space and do you know what happens if I manage to create some?  Someone puts something IN it.  We all have this need to fill in the spaces.  What is with that? 

Today I've worked in my own room and in my girls room that the two younger ones share.  I'm not even close to done in either.  It seems to me it's one of those never done things.  I get it *done* and it's undone before the week is out.  I believe it's largely because there is just too much stuff.  But how to choose what to keep and what's gotta go?  I understand emotional attachment to stuff.  The desire to keep it because it's yours and you like it! But really folks?  When the child can't sleep on her bed but sleeps on top of stuffies on the bed, and those toys fill two small white garbage bags??? That's too much.  When the drawers and closet are full but there's still two baskets full of clothes (for two kids) that's too much.  When the closet basket is full of shoes, there are shoes on the floor and shoes in the entryway, that's too much. 

So last week we had a talk, again.  We talked about honoring God and respecting him by taking care of what he's given us.  I told them I will be requiring them to choose some things to give away.  *gasp*  The younger two think this prospect is especially hideous, tears ensued.  But see the above!! 

We can't bring a puppy into a home that is dangerous.  I can't fathom cleaning up after a puppy AND four other people in this house. Not. Gonna. Fly.  So clean it is.  I can make the girls clean.  I can even force myself too, but how, oh someone please tell me how, do I get my husband to?  I think it might be a lost cause.  I guess I'll just keep putting his stuff on his side of the bed.  I do wish the poor man had a garage to put his tools and toys, etc. 

For a moment I fantasize of a larger space, closets! A linen closet, and a pantry cupboard too!  Two closets in the master bedroom, and room for the dressers for each of us.  A closet in the entryway large enough to hold our coats, and an entryway large enough for us all to stand in at the same time.  Bliss! But I know us, we'd just fill it up and stack boxes on the edges (toy room, cough, cough!). 

So once again I'm back to attempting to not horde (OH HELP! Please, not that!) and to be content where I am.  I will work hard to get rid of things we like but don't need so we can enjoy our home.  OH, and I am very very thankful for the sixth pantry cupboard that will hopefully be put together tonight and in my laundry room creating a place to store sheets, blankets and maybe even cleaning supplies! Whoohoo! Thanks to my very mechanically inclined, good at putting things together husband for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment